Monday, October 12, 2009

Candid interview written by HHS Atlas

Hip Hop Sisters started back in 2006. So, for the past three years I've been "Rockin' Wit' The Best" (Had to get a song quote in). It has been an honor and a pleasure to work with this legendary MC. In business I've had many questions, but it has been difficult to keep the fan in me at bay. I was trying to figure out the best way to ask those "fan" questions I had without looking too corny. So when she said she would grant me an interview for the HHS I jumped at the chance to ask.

AtLas’: You were Lana Moorer long before you were MC Lyte. What is your earliest childhood memory?

MC Lyte: My earliest childhood memory is probably refusing to wear a dress for Easter.
We were going to Playland in Rockaway, Queens with my uncle and he wanted me to wear a dress. He had a real problem that day because he was unsuccessful.

A: Speaking of childhood memories, how did you get the scar on your forearm?
I noticed it at the meet n greet

ML: Detective AtLas’ (lol). A glass window; I thought I could stick my arm through what appeared to be a broken window and I didn't see the broken glass that remained in the frame

A: Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you first heard yourself on the radio?

ML: Yes. I was delivering packages as a messenger at the Graybar Building and heard it playing in their mailroom

A: I noticed that your early work rarely had a hook, usually lots of scratching or sampling your own voice. Was that intentional?

ML: Paperthin and what else?

A: Lyte as a Rock, 10% Dis…

ML: With Paperthin it was written before I heard the beat. I had a rhyme book and everything from the first album was from that book. So I just sat with the producers and fit the rhymes to some of their tracks. I didn't write hooks then. 10% had a hook. BEAT BITER DOPE STYLE TAKER, TELL YOUR FACE YOU AIN'T NOTHING BUT A FAKER.

A: Oh yeah... I meant cappuccino and Cha, Cha, Cha.

ML: Yeah those were the days when the lyrics meant so much you didn't even need a hook. People wanted the hook to be done so they could hear the lyrics and now it's just the opposite.

A: Do you still have clothes and jewelry from then?

ML: Yes I do. My Nefertiti earrings. My jeans with all the graffiti on them. Lots of leather outfits. I almost got into tax trouble because they didn't believe I spent that much money on leather. Then I went back and took pictures of them all and they released any intentions.


To read interview please click below

http://hiphopsisters.ning.com/profiles/blogs/atlas-chats-with-the-lyte

1 comment:

Quisa said...

oh no maybe you bust out those earrings!!!!

www.sophistafunklife.blogspot.com